Benefits of Wayfinding Maps In Retail Spaces
While the COVID-19 pandemic drove consumers online, many people still prefer going into a physical store to complete their purchases, or enjoy an omnichannel approach to shopping.
However, the frustration of finding what they need can cause customers to leave empty-handed. That’s why many brick-and-mortar stores are turning to wayfinding maps and related technology to improve the shopping experience.
Changing Consumer Demands
It’s no secret that consumer demands are changing. Today’s shoppers want to retain the ease of shopping online while being able to easily find products on-site. Here’s what consumers value most:
To meet these evolving demands, retailers are turning to technology companies (such as to offer comprehensive wayfinding solutions.
What is Wayfinder Technology?
Wayfinding refers to digital systems that guide people through a physical environment and enhance their understanding and experience of the space. Traditionally, shoppers have relied on static maps and aisle signs to navigate spaces and locate items.
Technology, however, has put an interactive spin on wayfinding, enabling shoppers to navigate retail spaces just like they would the outdoors. This technology can be incorporated into interactive kiosks or downloadable apps and is especially useful in large buildings such as shopping malls, supermarkets, and big-box retailers.
What Types of Retail Spaces Can Benefit from Wayfinding Maps?
Retail stores often have long corridors, crowded shelves, and poorly designed layouts that make finding products on the shelves difficult. Here are some spaces where wayfinding technology can assist today’s shoppers:
Benefits of Wayfinding Maps
Retailers of all types can take advantage of wayfinding technology to provide a more modern approach to navigating their space. Here are some of the main benefits of wayfinding maps for both consumers and retailers:
- Streamlined Experience: Finding where to go in a large retail space can be stressful. Using a wayfinding map, shoppers can search at their own pace, making them feel more in control of the experience and, therefore, more relaxed. Furthermore, because digital wayfinding is more efficient, aisles and corridors are less congested.
- Accessibility and Safety: Today, is essential. With well-thought-out design and navigation opinions, a wayfinding system helps retailers comply with ADA regulations. Maps make retail spaces more accessible to all shoppers by highlighting where ramps and elevators are located. Systems can also be used to alert shoppers to emergencies and give them directions to the nearest exit or a safe location.
- Increased Efficiency: With wayfinding technology, customers no longer have to bother staff for directions or ask if something is in stock. They can self-serve when looking for products, which reduces the workload on store associates. Likewise, wayfinding solutions can help order fulfillment workers increase efficiency by identifying routes with the least amount of walking distance.
- Increased Revenue: Wayfinding technology helps retailers increase revenue. It allows them to strengthen customer loyalty, bringing buyers back to their stores. Retailers can use it to circumvent the in-person sales process by implementing upsells and cross-sells via digital signage. Finally, this technology allows retailers to create additional revenue streams through strategic advertising partnerships with other businesses.
Technology Improving the Efficacy of Wayfinding Maps
Ombori’s Wayfinder solution is an interactive, voice-activated map that allows customers to find what they want quickly. They simply tell Ombori Wayfinder what they want and download directions to their mobile device. To make the most of this technology, retailers should consider combining it with the other Ombori solutions:
- Web Kiosk: A is an effective place to promote a wayfinding map. Shoppers can access it through QR code scanning without the need to install a mobile app, which is appealing to those who don’t want to share their personal information. Using this technology, shoppers can find any item with just a few clicks, learn about new products, access interactive games, and earn rewards.
- Digital Signage and Playlists: Digital Signage allows retailers to display store maps and navigational instructions. When placed strategically throughout the store, signage helps shoppers save time, reduce stress, and improve their overall experience, as well as learn more about the retailer and its products. Businesses can also create Signage Playlists that allow them to alternate wayfinding maps with promotional materials and upcoming in-store events.
- Store Assistant: Retailers can also integrate Ombori Wayfinder with the Store Assistant , which features Endless Aisle and Guided Selling , to help consumers make informed shopping decisions and increase sales. Shoppers can use guided selling to find products that are best suited for them. If an item is in stock, they can go directly to the shelf and grab it. However, if an item is not in the store, they can use the endless aisle to purchase it online, and either have it shipped or collect it later.
Wayfinding Technology: What’s in Store?
The future of wayfinding goes beyond practicality. Using enhanced technologies, retailers can focus on building rapport with anyone navigating their space. Wayfinding should be an experience: one that efficiently manages staff and effectively engages shoppers. People shouldn’t just know how to get to where they’re going — they should appreciate where they are.
Originally published at https://ombori.com on January 5, 2022.